Almost all people traveling by plane take bags or suitcases with personal belongings on the road.
All baggage of air travelers is divided into two categories:
- general luggage in suitcases and travel bags, transported in the cargo hold of the liner;
- carry-on luggage - small bags and backpacks, the weight and dimensions of which do not exceed the established norms.
Carry-on baggage is transported in the aircraft cabin. The passenger is responsible for personal property and during the flight independently controls the safety of the baggage.
Rules for the carriage of hand luggage on the plane
All airlines in the world have certain requirements for carried baggage in carry-on baggage. Weight and dimensions bags should not exceed the specified parameters. Each carrier can independently regulate these norms, taking into account the capacity of the air transport.
According to the international rules of airlines, one place for hand luggage in the cabin of the aircraft is provided for one economy class passenger. For tourists flying in the business class cabin, there is a limit for hand luggage - 2 pieces of luggage.
A passenger can take several bags on the flight, the main thing is that the dimensions and weight of the total cargo correspond to the established parameters.
Average carry-on baggage allowances:
- maximum weight of personal baggage for economy class passengers - 10 kg,
- business class - 15 kg;
- dimensions of bags in three dimensions - 55x40x20 cm.
When planning a trip by plane, check in advance what allowances are set for hand luggage in the airline chosen for the flight.
What is allowed in hand luggage on the plane
Carry-on baggage is transported in the aircraft cabin. Passengers are responsible for the safety of their luggage while traveling.
You can take the most necessary and valuable things into your hand luggage:
- the documents;
- house and car keys;
- bank cards;
- water and other soft drinks;
- wet wipes;
- baby food, diapers and other necessary means for transported babies;
- press (newspapers, magazines);
- mobile phone and other small-sized gadgets;
- a light blanket for covering (useful for tourists on a long flight);
- pets, weighing up to 10 kg, placed in special carrying bags.
You can take a cradle for a toddler and a child car seat into the cabin, but a separate passenger seat is required to accommodate these accessories.
It is also allowed to take as carry-on luggage various compact devices that fit into the upper shelf above the passenger seat: sports equipment, fishing rods, musical instruments, etc.
Liquid and solid food products can be carried in hand luggage in special containers and containers for liquids, with a volume of no more than 100 ml.
Compact household appliances can be taken into the cabin as carry-on luggage if they do not have piercing and cutting elements in their configuration. So, for example, you cannot transport a blender with a chopper.
Prohibited items on the plane for carry-on baggage
Aviation companies publish a list of items prohibited for transportation on their official websites. Such a ban is approved solely for the safety of all passengers on the flight.
What cannot be carried in carry-on baggage:
- piercing and cutting objects;
- weapons and ammunition;
- gases and explosive substances;
- toxic and poisonous compounds;
- flammable liquids;
- radioactive materials;
- mobile devices powered by lithium-ion batteries.
Before packing your suitcases for travel on an airplane, study the list of items prohibited from transportation in your carry-on baggage!
Transportation of bulky items
As a rule, bulky items are transported as main baggage in the cargo hold of the liner. But, if this cargo has a certain value or belongs to the category of fragile items, the passenger can transport it in the cabin under special conditions. How to transport fragile and breakable items, read this article.
Rules for the transportation of fragile items:
- to accommodate bulky baggage, you will need a separate passenger seat, so you need to buy another ticket at a special rate;
- it is possible to place personal luggage in the passenger seat, provided that its dimensions do not exceed the dimensions of the seat itself.
Alcohol in hand luggage on the plane
It is allowed to carry alcohol in hand luggage in factory bottles with a volume of no more than 100 ml. The container must be full and well packed. The total volume of alcohol carried in the aircraft cabin must not exceed 1 liter per passenger.
It is not allowed to transport incomplete bottles of alcoholic beverages. It is also prohibited to consume alcohol from your personal supply on board.
Carriage of liquid
It is possible to transport containers with a volume of 100 ml in the salon. The maximum allowable volume is 1 liter per person.
The category of liquid includes:
- dairy products;
- soft cheeses;
- shampoos, liquid soap, toothpaste and other hygiene products;
- perfumes, lip gloss, mascara - such cosmetics are also classified as liquids.
Incomplete containers must not be transported on an airplane. So, for example, a passenger will be denied transportation of a bottle of perfume or balm that has already been consumed by 1/3.